Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Removing Makeup

So I have to confess, I completely suck at taking my makeup off after a long day. Usually taking the face off is the last thing I am thinking about. I know this is horrible and I will get plenty of wrinkles for doing this, but its the truth. So on those nights where all I want to do in the bathroom is brush my teeth then crawl into bed I have two handy dandy tricks up my sleeve. The first is the Burt's Bees facial cleansing towelettes. They look like this:



I have used 5 different brands of waterless cleansing towelettes: Neutrogena (The blue ones), Target Brand, Say Yes to Cucumbers, Simple, and the Burt's Bees and by far this brand is AMAZING and much better than all the rest. First of all it is not tested on our animal friends which is definitely a plus. It breaks my heart to think about the bunnies being hurt for vanity. It is also paraben and petrochemical free, which is super nice. Did you know that "Mineral Oil" is a by-product of the refinery process for gasoline?!?! And I should put it on my face? No Thank You! So I try to steer clear of anything with mineral oil in it. It is also paraben free which is great because parabens have been linked to cancer and to giving you wrinkles!! Isn't that crazy, the stuff we put on our face to keep from getting wrinkles may cause them! errr...wtf mate? If you want to read more about paraben and wrinkles you can start your research here: http://ezinearticles.com/?Truth-About-Parabens-in-Your-Anti-aging-Wrinkle-Creams&id=4674349

I also love the Burts Bees because they are the nicest smelling and feeling towelettes I have used. They smell floral and fresh. They also feel WONDERFUL! All the other ones I have used are a bit rough on my skin, and I don't like using them around my sensitive eye area. But these feel super soft and are made out of cloth so they work great on my skin.

The only thing no towelette does well though is remove eye make-up. They will all get the mascara and eyeliner off (eventually) but there will be some scrubbing involved. To solve this problem I add a little Witch Hazel and Almond oil to the cloth after I am done taking off my concealer/foundation/powder/blush. I personally use a 50/50 mixture of these two brands:



I get them both at a natural food store such as Whole Foods or Wegmans. The Thayers Witch Hazel is usually around $10 and the almond oil is around $5. And this will last you forever!!! I am still going through my first batch. I mix them in that little blue bottle, shake it up (because they will seperate, the whole water and oil thing) and apply it to the towelette. Then I use it on my eyes. My eye make-up comes right off. And it makes my eye area feel nice and soft. Almond oil is amazing and one day I will write a post about the 5 different ways I use it, but one reason I love it is it will not clog your pores. When my face is really dry, I will actually apply the oil directly to my face! The witch hazel i get is the rose petal, which smells devine and exactly like roses! Its lovely!

Anyway, so here are three products I am crazy about and hopefully I gave you some ideas as to how to take off that makeup when you are just too tired to stand in front of the sink and splash water everywhere! I will catch you all later! Hope you are having a fabulous week!

2 comments:

  1. this is awesome advice! I too have sensitive skin, especially around my eyes. I'll have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also partial to the Burts Bees wipes (thanks to your recommendation!) The almond oil/witch hazel mixture is super good for girls (or guys) who wear mascara. You have to be super gentle with your lashes or you risk breaking them. :) Good advice!

    ReplyDelete